As an eyewitness to events here in Kiev, I want to share observations and comments with other people. The Orange Revolution is a historic event with great consequences not only for Ukraine but for freedom and democracy in Belarus and Russia.

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

NO SUPPORT EVIDENT FOR YANUKOVYCH IN DARNYTSA AND OBOLON TODAY

As I was out and about today I tried an experiment. I counted how many people that I walked past where showing obvious support for either Yanukovich or Yushchenko. I was also in the center of Kiev, but I didn’t count in the center or on the metro because of the concentration of protesters. I didn’t count everyone, just people I could see clearly from head to foot.

The Darnytsia district, where I went to the children’s market to buy a present for my daughter, is located five metro stops from Maidan (about 5.5 kilometers). It is on the east side of the Dnieper River. There were Yushchenko posters or ribbons in evidence in almost every store window in the children’s market.

The Obolon district is located six metro stops north of the center (about 6 kilometers.) It is on the west side of the Dnieper River.

Here are my unscientific counts:

................................................Darnytsia.....Obolon

Total People................................232.............183
Yanukovich Supporters.................0.................0
Yushchenko Supporters..............33...............35

%.....................................................14%...........19%
Or about....................................1 in 6..........1 in 5

Did you notice anything about these results? I knew you would! Not a single person that was displaying any kind of support for Yanukovich. And by the way, after the first twenty people I started looking extra hard for Yanukovich supporters, after fifty I looked even harder.

Before I did this I would have guessed “1 in 10” to “1 in 15” for Yushchenko.
Maybe I’ll try this again later. I’d be interested if anyone else can try this and see what they come up with. Please post a comment or email me.

I don’t know how to conclude this post. I guess the numbers speak for themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home